A proficiency check is an assessment of your skills and knowledge in a particular operational area. Pilots are required to undertake proficiency checks to ensure they continue to be competent conducting particular kinds of operations.
After gaining a qualification, it is normal for some skills to deteriorate over time. A proficiency check ensures your piloting skills continue to meet the standards described in the Part 61 Manual of Standards, and where applicable, those of your operator.
The following proficiency checks are prescribed under Part 61:
- Instrument rating proficiency check (IPC)
- Instructor rating proficiency check
- Examiner rating proficiency check
- Aerial application rating proficiency check
- Night vision imaging system proficiency check
You can find out more about proficiency checks on the CASA website.