Information collected and used by Learn To Fly Melbourne (LTFM) will be collected and managed in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 as amended, including the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) set out in Schedule 1 of the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012.
LTFM will at all times ensure that the information collected about an individual, from the individual themselves, including students, clients, and staff, and the collection and storage of their personal information, will be secure and not distributed without that individual’s explicit written consent.
LTFM takes all reasonable steps to keep personal information secure at all times and ensures that the personal information it collects, and discloses to others, is accurate, complete, and up to date. If an individual establishes that the information held about them is not accurate, complete, up to date, relevant or misleading; once notified of this, LTFM will take all reasonable steps to correct the information.
Personal information is collected for the primary purposes of creating enrolment records, determining funding eligibility and sources and reporting training activity. The personal information collected and held by LTFM could include but is not limited to:
- Date of Birth
- Current and previous overseas and Australian address
- Telephone number/s
- Email addresses
- Passport or Driver Licence Number
- ABN / ACN
- Visa number and class
- Bank Account Details
- Health Care Card
Collection of personal information
LTFM collects personal information in a number of ways, including, but not limited to:
- Information from applicants expressing interest or applying for enrolment into a LTFM course, collected on LTFM Expression of Interest and Enrolment Application forms (electronic or hard copy)
- Information from Education Agents acting on behalf of students where students have expressively authorised the Education Agent to act on their behalf
- Personal details collected at marketing activities, expos, from email enquiries and interested parties seeking information about LTFM services, training opportunities and eligibility for government funding
- Personal information will not be collected unless:
- The information is collected for a purpose directly related to LTFM training services
- The collection of the information is necessary for that purpose
Use of personal information
Personal information collected may be used:
- To create a student record in the LTFM Student Management System (SMS) and record individual information in each student’s file.
- To record student information and progression of training and education courses in the Student Management System
- To maintain evidence of participation, progression and completion in individual student (hard copy and electronic format) files.
- For sending notifications related to the training services to individuals at their request
- For emergency contact details for the purposes of contacting appropriate next of kin in the event of an unforeseen emergency
- Supply of information to CASA in relation to the students learning outcomes
- Where personal information is collected for inclusion in records held by LTFM or for transfer to a government authority, LTFM will make known why the information is being collected and with whom the information may be shared. The information will only be collected if relevant to that purpose. The collection of the information must not intrude to an unreasonable extent upon the personal affairs of the Student
Access to personal information
Students may apply in writing to the School Operations Manager to be given access to their own personal information held by LTFM. Access will be granted within 10 business days. LTFM will not disclose any personal information without first establishing the identity of the person requesting the information.
Storage and security of personal information
LTFM has implemented technology and security systems, policies and measures to protect the personal information we collect. Personal data is protected by security safeguards against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure, and against other misuse.
LTFM will maintain operational procedures to manage:
- The nature of the records of personal information kept
- The purpose for which each type of record is kept
- The period for which each type of record is kept
- The persons who are entitled to have access to personal information held by LTFM
- The conditions under personal information can be accessed
- The steps that should be taken by persons wishing to obtain access to that information
LTFM will not disclose the information it collects from an individual unless:
- The individual concerned has been made aware that information of that kind is usually passed to that person, body or agency
- The individual concerned has consented to the disclosure
- LTFM believes on reasonable grounds that the disclosure is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of the student or of another person
- The disclosure is required or authorised by or under law, or
- The disclosure is necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of the public revenue.
Where personal information is disclosed for the purposes of enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the purpose of the protection of the public revenue, the record-keeper shall include in the record containing that information a note of the disclosure.
Any complaint by an individual regarding LTFM’s management or handling of personal information should be forwarded to the School Operations Manager
The Student Administration Manager is responsible for the implementation of this policy and procedure