Do you provide DGCA syllabus for Indian student pilots?

Yes, we do. We provide a 210 hours DGCA syllabus for Indian students. It includes 15 hours of multi-engine training, 5 hours of Pilot In Command time at night and 40 hours of instrument time. This means that you can easily convert your CASA CPL to the DGCA CPL licence back in India.

What is an aircraft class rating?

An aircraft class rating is a flight crew qualification that authorises the holder to operate aircraft that fit the description of the class rating (and are not designated as type-rated aircraft).

For example, a Diamond DA42 is a multi-engine aeroplane and is not designated as a type-rated aircraft, so it is covered by the multi-engine aeroplane class rating. You can find out more about aircraft class ratings on the CASA website.

What is an aircraft type rating, and which aircraft require one?

A type rating authorises a pilot or to operate a particular type of aircraft. All aircraft that are certified for multi-crew operations will have a type rating. Type ratings are also given to specified single-pilot aeroplanes that have performance, complexity or handling characteristics that warrant pilots completing a type-specific training course.

In order to pilot a type-rated aircraft, you need to complete the relevant aircraft type training and flight tests. At the end of the test, assuming you pass, your flight examiner will enter details of the rating in your licence and send a report to CASA so that your records can be updated.

For more information on type ratings, please visit the CASA website.

What is a proficiency check and do I need to have one?

A proficiency check is an assessment of your skills and knowledge in a particular operational area. Pilots are required to undertake proficiency checks to ensure they continue to be competent in conducting particular kinds of operations.

After gaining a qualification, it is normal for some skills to deteriorate over time. A proficiency check ensures your piloting skills continue to meet the standards described in the Part 61 Manual of Standards, and where applicable, those of your operator.

The following proficiency checks are prescribed under Part 61:

  • Instrument rating proficiency check (IPC)
  • Instructor rating proficiency check
  • Examiner rating proficiency check
  • Aerial application rating proficiency check
  • Night vision imaging system proficiency check

You can find out more about proficiency checks on the CASA website.

Are Australian pilot licences recognised by other countries around the world?

Both the Private Pilot Licence (PPL) and Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) are CASA Part 61 licences, meaning that they are recognised internationally and comply with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Annex 1 requirements. They also adopt the ICAO’s aircraft type and class rating system, simplifying the aircraft endorsement system for pilots.
There are currently 193 ICAO member states worldwide, with that number increasing each year. To fly in other ICAO countries having completed one of the above licences, a simple validation and check flight is normally all that is required.

What types of exams will I need to pass to get my pilot licence?

For each pilot licence, you are required to pass 3 types of exams – an oral test, written test and practical flying test.

    • Written Test: This is a multiple-choice test that covers all areas of aviation theory relating to your licence course. There are many resource guides available to assist with preparation including books, mock exam questions, and the best resource of all – your Learn To Fly instructors and fellow students. We recommend spending as much time studying at school as you can, as well as time outside of school studying on your own. Most written aviation theory exams require a 70% pass mark.


    • Oral Test: The day you take your practical flying test in the aircraft, your Flight Examiner will conduct an oral interview where you will be asked to discuss all the theory and knowledge areas you’ve studied during the course. This includes aircraft systems, weather, aerodynamics, air laws, airport operations, airspace designations and operations, charts, aircraft performance, and much more. The oral exam requires study, preparation and understanding on your part. Your flight instructor will be able to assist you with preparation, as will your fellow students (especially those with the first-hand experience completing the exam).


  • Practical Test: Your practical flying test takes place in the aircraft, and this is where all your training comes together. You will fly with an official flight Flight Examiner who will ask you to perform all the manoeuvres and skills you have been working on from the beginning of your flight training. Your flight instructor will assist you in preparing for the actual test scenario in your flights leading up to the test.

How do I get my Air Transport Pilot Licence ATPL?

You must be at least 21 years old to get your ATPL. You also need to do the following for the category rating you want to get with your ATPL:

  • Hold either a Commercial Pilot Licence or Multi-Crew Pilot Licence with the same aircraft category rating
  • Complete the relevant flight training
  • Learn the theory and pass 7 ATPL theory exams
  • Complete an approved course of multi-crew cooperation training
  • Pass an ATPL flight test
  • Meet the minimum aeronautical experience requirements

How do I get a Commercial Pilot Licence CPL?

If you want to work as a pilot and be paid to fly, you will need to hold a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL).

You must be at least 18 years old. You also need to do the following for the category rating you want to get with your CPL:

  • Complete CPL flight training
  • Meet the minimum aeronautical experience requirements
  • Pass 7 CPL theory exams set by CASA
  • Pass a CPL flight test

There is a range of career options for commercial pilots including tourism, flight training, agriculture, logistics and passenger transport. Some of these career options require some additional training in addition to holding a CPL. Learn To Fly has a range of additional Ratings and Endorsements available, including multi-engine training and instrument flying.

How do I get a Private Pilot Licence PPL? What can I do with it?

You must be at least 17 years old to get your Private Pilot Licence (PPL). You also need to do the following for the category rating you want to get with your PPL:

  • Hold an RPL or you have done an integrated RPL training course;
  • Pass a PPL theory exam;
  • Meet the minimum aeronautical experience requirements;
  • Pass a PPL flight test

With the PPL, you will be licensed to fly as Pilot in Command and conduct navigational flights throughout Australia in any CASA registered aircraft up to 5700 kg, carrying a maximum of 5 passengers. As well, once you have 100 PIC hours you can get your Flight Instructor rating and teach training endorsements.